SHEIKHS in harlequin

Discuss non-manga/manhwa topics here.
Introduce yourself, chat about anything like music, anime, novels, life...

Re: SHEIKHS in harlequin

Postby bakaneko on 29 Jun 2011, 13:06

sherlover wrote:
bakaneko wrote:
sherlover wrote:hmmm rather than saying being dominated it will be good to say that they are supported or protected :D :D definitely would not like male chauvinism in harlequin :D

can't we use the term "Dominate" pls? it has more impact... :D sure, i'm a control freak but i dun want a lily-livered man as a husband... i kinda want him to be able to control me when i'm being out of line (believe me, without a firm guiding hand i could be really er, ahem, wild?)... :oops:

wow im definitely not condemning the use of word dominate...i just wanted to make sure that men need be projected as dominative always and women to be submissive they can dominate their women but cant do that to their daughters..of course not lily-livered kind of guys that will be sick as u said :D he has to be manly!!

i'm a bit undecided... of course i want the guy to be gentle and treat me with care etc, you know... as if i'm a piece of china.. but i'm sure at one point i'd be bored out of my head with a 'good' guy so maybe i want him to dominate me in a way, you know... not sure what word best describe it, or how to describe it, so that's why i have to use the word dominate.. lol
bakaneko
Elite Member

Postby sherlover on 30 Jun 2011, 11:55

bakaneko wrote:
i'm a bit undecided... of course i want the guy to be gentle and treat me with care etc, you know... as if i'm a piece of china.. but i'm sure at one point i'd be bored out of my head with a 'good' guy so maybe i want him to dominate me in a way, you know... not sure what word best describe it, or how to describe it, so that's why i have to use the word dominate.. lol

go ahead !! :D :D i respect ur opinion!! :D :D
sherlover

Postby beenz on 06 Jul 2011, 07:49

I hear stories about Arab men so I'm not into them, when reading I'm imagining differently.
beenz

Postby bakaneko on 07 Jul 2011, 13:59

beenz wrote:I hear stories about Arab men so I'm not into them, when reading I'm imagining differently.

honey, it's YOUR imagination, so take out the bad part and only take the good part (like in the manga)!

but i have to admit, these arabic men are really rich, FILTHY rich! there was a news about how our prime minister's wife found a luggage on a cruise ship, and she went and return it to the owner, which just happens to be one of an arab prince and she get a reward of a few million ringgit!! which was still more than a million USD! i mean, which other country's prince would give such a big reward like that?! makes me wish I was the one who found the luggage!
bakaneko
Elite Member

Postby felicityhale on 10 Jul 2011, 17:54

:D haha lucky woman
well I think harlequin romanticize arabic men a lot. the mangas never discuss the issues about their backward point of view towards women. in harlequin the women are dearly loved by their rich handsome and perfect men. it's very very naive :roll:
felicityhale
Valued Contributor

Postby bakaneko on 11 Jul 2011, 00:32

felicityhale wrote::D haha lucky woman
well I think harlequin romanticize arabic men a lot. the mangas never discuss the issues about their backward point of view towards women. in harlequin the women are dearly loved by their rich handsome and perfect men. it's very very naive :roll:

maybe the rich ones are ok-er? lol

anyways, maybe it's stories like that (getting millions for returning a luggage!) is what inspire the harlequin writers to romanticize arabic men... :lol:

but i think everyone men from each continents has their own weakpoints... there's no such thing as a whole continent filled with perfect men... if such a continent exist, it would be crazy!
bakaneko
Elite Member

Postby marumarusan on 09 Aug 2011, 16:38

Well, I too wondered why do English harlequin writers use shekihs in their stories..

I think it's because they have to find some kind of a "prince" character and make him fall in love with the heroine. And because there is less knowledge about arabic countries they can make up those kinds of stories.

And not many Arabic people are rich.. They may seem to be living in luxury there are two sides of a coin. There are very poor people too... But I can't tell anything about the beauty or bone structure..

And about harem, well there are some things about them. Yes they can marry a few times but in Islam if you are going to marry second or third time you should treat all of your wives equally, as in if one of them has 5 dresses then the other two must have 5 dresses.. it's the same with the jewelry and also it should be same for affection (as in you should love all of your wives equally.. which is very hard so many people marry once (at least that is what I know=> I live in Turkey and this country used to be the Ottoman Empire, where men could marry 4 times, but because they couldn't be sure about the equality, they generally had one wife))

but in one thousand and one nights we can see that the kings had a big harem with lots of wives and concubines.. I wouldn't like to be the wife of an emperor, the palace always has some kind of bad scheme and such...

If we are back to the topic again, well today vampires are more popular.. it's a kind of fad? We'll never be sure :D
marumarusan

Postby sherlover on 09 Aug 2011, 18:19

yes they are allowed to have a minimum of four wives and should provide for them equally....that is if he gives one wife a diamond ring then he has to give it to the other three as well and it should of same price and weight :D

vampires i think is a good topic to discuss...since this forum has harlequin exclusive i placed a request of harlequin with vampire theme lol ^_^
sherlover

Postby marumarusan on 09 Aug 2011, 20:09

sherlover wrote:yes they are allowed to have a minimum of four wives and should provide for them equally....that is if he gives one wife a diamond ring then he has to give it to the other three as well and it should of same price and weight :D

vampires i think is a good topic to discuss...since this forum has harlequin exclusive i placed a request of harlequin with vampire theme lol ^_^

it's not minimum, it's maximum, but what you said is true and is there any harlequim manga with vampires?
marumarusan

Postby moongoddess on 10 Aug 2011, 04:07

It's all about having the perfect romance in an exotic setting as you can get. Placing the man and woman on opposite sides of the spectrum (Western women vs Middle Eastern men) simply enhances the thrill, provides good material for misunderstandings and allows the reader to step out of the far from perfect world, in which we all live, into a place where religion and other cultural differences, ethnicity, skin colour etc don't matter in the face of true love.

HOWEVER, although I love escapism, I lived in the Middle East for a year and I don't particularly like Arab men. Not saying all of them are bad, they are not, but from my experience dating rich Arab men (not kidding), they are much better in the HQ books. But then again, all men are! ;)
moongoddess

---------

PreviousNext

Return to General