SHEIKHS in harlequin

Discuss non-manga/manhwa topics here.
Introduce yourself, chat about anything like music, anime, novels, life...

Re: SHEIKHS in harlequin

Postby sherlover on 01 Jun 2011, 14:21

bakaneko wrote:
Alessa9 wrote:I enjoy a well-written romance novel involving sheikhs. Have you noticed that the sheikhs in all Harlequin romance novels are clean-shaven? I think It's all about the exotic and the unknown. Personally, I prefer stories that have self-made millionaires or action-type heroes.

*nod nod*

i guess the mangaka kinda understand that a clean-shaven sheikh will be more popular than a bearded one.. XD

i agree with b.neko & i think its to show that they are really young and young people always prefer to shave their breads.....suddenly i remember a glimpse of some movie where the hero looks like early man and later he is transformed into hunk!! :D :D
sherlover

Postby blanblah on 02 Jun 2011, 03:08

Though I'm sure I'm not saying anything new than what the others have said, I thought I'd voice my opinion anyways lol. Personally, I think there's just something appealing about a foreign man trying to sweep you off your feet (doesn't hurt that he's good looking). The only thing that makes this idea even more interesting is if he is a prince or someone of power, influence, or money. We as people might act like these things don't affect us, but in reality, I think most of us can agree that the idea of such a person picking us out of the rest of the world's population to love, is an attractive idea. As for Sheikh's appearing in harlequin, someone was bound to think that they would make a good male lead and thankfully so. Now we can all dream our days away with the many beautiful harlequin that we adore <3
blanblah

Postby myblaze on 07 Jun 2011, 08:32

hm.. there's something mysterious about sheikhs
because there's not enough information about them
beside how wealthy they are

and that's enough for me to imagine about them in romance novel
the less information we have, the more imaginative we can be
that's what i thought :D :D
myblaze

Postby BonnieChristine on 07 Jun 2011, 09:03

I agree that sheiks fill in what some consider the ideal man, but I also think they fill another role and can be universally easily accepted for the characteristics in a man that are usually portrayed in harlequins. Sheiks come with power and wealth, which has already been mentioned, but with that comes the perfect explanation (without actually having to explain) for their macho, bossy, dominating personalities. People already know what the general Arabic culture is like; the male is dominate and the female is submissive, which for most harlequins is the basic bones of the plot in one form or another. Plus, if we refer back to Aladdin, the Disney movie, it could be an easy play on one of our childhood fantasies of being princess material... Or something like that... In the end I guess what I'm trying to say is that they're an easy stereotype to use, which I don't have a nay or yeah for; just as long as the story is good I'm happy. ^_^ (Although the male dominance does get kind of annoying sometimes, but that's a harlequin for you. lol ^_^)
BonnieChristine

Postby bakaneko on 14 Jun 2011, 00:11

BonnieChristine wrote:I agree that sheiks fill in what some consider the ideal man, but I also think they fill another role and can be universally easily accepted for the characteristics in a man that are usually portrayed in harlequins. Sheiks come with power and wealth, which has already been mentioned, but with that comes the perfect explanation (without actually having to explain) for their macho, bossy, dominating personalities. People already know what the general Arabic culture is like; the male is dominate and the female is submissive, which for most harlequins is the basic bones of the plot in one form or another. Plus, if we refer back to Aladdin, the Disney movie, it could be an easy play on one of our childhood fantasies of being princess material... Or something like that... In the end I guess what I'm trying to say is that they're an easy stereotype to use, which I don't have a nay or yeah for; just as long as the story is good I'm happy. ^_^ (Although the male dominance does get kind of annoying sometimes, but that's a harlequin for you. lol ^_^)

YES!!! i understand you! they are born to dominate, and even though maybe some of us are a bit of a feminist and didn't want to admit it, but let's face it, it's been written in our genes long long ago since the beginning of time that women likes to be dominated... :lol:
bakaneko
Elite Member

Postby sherlover on 15 Jun 2011, 16:02

bakaneko wrote:
BonnieChristine wrote:I agree that sheiks fill in what some consider the ideal man, but I also think they fill another role and can be universally easily accepted for the characteristics in a man that are usually portrayed in harlequins. Sheiks come with power and wealth, which has already been mentioned, but with that comes the perfect explanation (without actually having to explain) for their macho, bossy, dominating personalities. People already know what the general Arabic culture is like; the male is dominate and the female is submissive, which for most harlequins is the basic bones of the plot in one form or another. Plus, if we refer back to Aladdin, the Disney movie, it could be an easy play on one of our childhood fantasies of being princess material... Or something like that... In the end I guess what I'm trying to say is that they're an easy stereotype to use, which I don't have a nay or yeah for; just as long as the story is good I'm happy. ^_^ (Although the male dominance does get kind of annoying sometimes, but that's a harlequin for you. lol ^_^)

YES!!! i understand you! they are born to dominate, and even though maybe some of us are a bit of a feminist and didn't want to admit it, but let's face it, it's been written in our genes long long ago since the beginning of time that women likes to be dominated... :lol:

hmmm rather than saying being dominated it will be good to say that they are supported or protected :D :D definitely would not like male chauvinism in harlequin :D
sherlover

Postby bakaneko on 16 Jun 2011, 16:25

sherlover wrote:hmmm rather than saying being dominated it will be good to say that they are supported or protected :D :D definitely would not like male chauvinism in harlequin :D

can't we use the term "Dominate" pls? it has more impact... :D sure, i'm a control freak but i dun want a lily-livered man as a husband... i kinda want him to be able to control me when i'm being out of line (believe me, without a firm guiding hand i could be really er, ahem, wild?)... :oops:
bakaneko
Elite Member

Postby lrose on 23 Jun 2011, 11:46

can't we use the term "Dominate" pls? it has more impact... :D sure, i'm a control freak but i dun want a lily-livered man as a husband... i kinda want him to be able to control me when i'm being out of line (believe me, without a firm guiding hand i could be really er, ahem, wild?)... :oops:

I'm also very often considered to be control freak, but actually don't want to be one, so if i see value in somebody I can give the control. I also accept that sometimes i need better control of my actions,that could be done from someone i do respect.
The sheikhs are misterious, proud, kind of dangerous men, powerfull in the harlequin also full of drama in their life.
But also i see how big The Minus would be to be that powerful Sheikh or to be controled by one. misterious prince but always loves to give commands. I like the part with dominant woman in harlequin she doesn't give easy the white flag and the part with happy end
lrose

Postby bakaneko on 26 Jun 2011, 00:15

lrose wrote:I'm also very often considered to be control freak, but actually don't want to be one, so if i see value in somebody I can give the control. I also accept that sometimes i need better control of my actions,that could be done from someone i do respect.
The sheikhs are misterious, proud, kind of dangerous men, powerfull in the harlequin also full of drama in their life.
But also i see how big The Minus would be to be that powerful Sheikh or to be controled by one. misterious prince but always loves to give commands. I like the part with dominant woman in harlequin she doesn't give easy the white flag and the part with happy end

OMG, you take the words out of my mouth! i totally understand what you mean... most of the guys i've met are such a wuss that i get really angry... they are undecided, and always doubt themselves, and are really not the take charge kind, you know.. makes me so angry at them.. especially when i have to spent an hour waiting for them to make one stupid decision! how can i rely on them? i want men like those sheikhs, you know... coz they are the take charge kinda guy and i want to let a man take control of things for a change, you know...

it's like, i'm always the one holding the whip, but when i meet a man who exudes confidence and arrogance, i want to get on my knees and hand over the whip to him, you know... well not literally, but you get the idea... :D
bakaneko
Elite Member

Postby sherlover on 28 Jun 2011, 11:29

bakaneko wrote:
sherlover wrote:hmmm rather than saying being dominated it will be good to say that they are supported or protected :D :D definitely would not like male chauvinism in harlequin :D

wow im definitely not condemning the use of word dominate...i just wanted to make sure that men need be projected as dominative always and women to be submissive they can dominate their women but cant do that to their daughters..of course not lily-livered kind of guys that will be sick as u said :D he has to be manly!!
sherlover

---------

PreviousNext

Return to General