SHEIKHS in harlequin

Discuss non-manga/manhwa topics here.
Introduce yourself, chat about anything like music, anime, novels, life...

SHEIKHS in harlequin

Postby sherlover on 30 May 2011, 05:11

apart from harlequin sheiks are hard to find in normal manga...so why do you think there are sheiks in harlequin..and do u guys like it? :D
sherlover

Re: SHEIKHS in harlequin

Postby aiMiXue on 30 May 2011, 16:24

Well, harlequins are drawn based on a novel
that's written by someone who isn't Japanese...

So, they aren't really consider manga.
Usually, mangakas draw bishies...or bishounen [attractive male anime character]

Sheikhs are princes or usually wealthy.
In harlequins, the male lead is can I say always rich?
Billionaires, Millionaires...

& Yah, I'd prefer a sheikh (without the mustach/beard) harlequin
But in reality, not into Middle East/Arab men... >.<
aiMiXue

Postby sherlover on 30 May 2011, 18:17

aiMiXue wrote:Well, harlequins are drawn based on a novel
that's written by someone who isn't Japanese...

So, they aren't really consider manga.
Usually, mangakas draw bishies...or bishounen [attractive male anime character]

Sheikhs are princes or usually wealthy.
In harlequins, the male lead is can I say always rich?
Billionaires, Millionaires...

& Yah, I'd prefer a sheikh (without the mustach/beard) harlequin
But in reality, not into Middle East/Arab men... xP

well said buddy...i wonder why it is rich men..hmm i guess it is to satisfy the complete package or mr.perfect thing :D :D
sherlover

Postby jollychick on 30 May 2011, 22:50

I think it may be the idea of "foreign" to Japanese people. It seems that American
is a more popular foreign than the rich sheikh.

I mean, hey,
I love seeing "the complete package or mr.perfect thing :D :D"
but I also love seeing the whole Romantic Sheikh idea as well.
Nothing better than a hot, rich, foreign gazillionaire trying to gain your love
through the passion of his homeland traditions! ;)
jollychick

Postby bakaneko on 31 May 2011, 00:28

i think the sheikh is less popular not just coz of the beard/moustache thing i think it generally has something to do with the arabs being less than popular nowadays because of the terrorist thingy.. but let's get it straight, not all arabs are hell bend on bombing the whole world, most of them don't give a damn about bombing, they're more busy with making money and women.. especially the richer ones, they could care less about jihad/etc...

i myself may be leaning towards asian men like japanese or chinese primarily because i don't like bulky/hairy western men, but some arabs are pleasing to the eyes so i'm not totally closing my door on them... also, the typical arabic men don't all look like those terorrist mugshots we see on telly... those are the bad ones.. the more modern ones and most of the ones that don't live in an arabic country don't even keep a beard/moustache you know.. maybe for safety reasons?

and let me tell you a secret : beneath all that beard/moustache lies a very handsome face with good bone structure! like, seriously!! even more handsome than a typical western man! i think arabic ppl have always have the nose and they are also gifted with a very nice bone structure.. have you seen the women? i know this personally because quite a few of my uncles married arabic women and i've seen their family (even those 100% Arabs from Saudi Arabia) and quite a few of my cousins-by-relation don't live in Saudi Arabia so they have a smoother and clean-shaved face and let me tell you, i know it's wrong but damn i can't stop drooling when i see them! like, seriously, i'm not pulling your leg.. and they are generally soft spoken and i don't know why but they like to talk softly and i have to get closer so i can hear them properly.. or maybe they are doing that so i'll get closer to them? O.O because of their upbringing i think, they are really quite, and smile a lot and they don't talk loudly.. it was kinda romantic.. when they are talking to me like that it makes me hot under the collar! i don't know, maybe it's the tone of their voice? hmmmm... :| none like those typically loud and outspoken american men! clean shaven and soft speaking arabic men belongs on the cover of every romance novels out there!! or maybe it's just that my cousins are hot? lol

and another thing, even though they don't get into the Forbes list (again, because of you-know-what) arabic men are kinda rich.. even all of my cousins run their own business (and usually in other foreign countries).. i think the arabs like to do business, since in the old days.. and they have houses in every port (and wives too?! O.O)... and you know, the oil are mostly in the middle east and the black gold is the most important resource on our planet, so oil tycoons are few of the richest men on the planet... my friend's father went to Harrods in London and he told us that these rich arabic men shopping's habit put the most desperate housewives wannabe to shame.. they bought everything by the bundle! maybe coz they have 4 wives and a legion of sons/daughters?

which brought us to another point... harems is an arabic word and need i say more? lol so yeah, that kinda gives us an idea ahem, how well 'experienced' they are in the matter of intimacy... ahem.. it could be true, or it could be wrong, but the word harem always invoke 'those' type of images, right?

so yeah, maybe with what's happening and the bad reputation the arabs have now we may not think sheikhs are most popular choice for a Mr. Perfect Romance Hero, but seriously, what you see nowadays are only a small fraction of the truth.. not all of them are hairy or like to bomb ppl, you know.. :D

EDIT : OMG i wrote an entire novel! sorry girls for my ramblings but i just thought i should share the truth with you all.. i was like you before, i don't like arabic men for the same reason too, that was until my family got a visit from our Arabic side relatives... it was a life changing moment for me.. :lol:
bakaneko
Elite Member

Postby sherlover on 31 May 2011, 08:52

bakaneko wrote:i think the sheikh is less popular not just coz of the beard/moustache thing i think it generally has something to do with the arabs being less than popular nowadays because of the terrorist thingy.. but let's get it straight, not all arabs are hell bend on bombing the whole world, most of them don't give a damn about bombing, they're more busy with making money and women.. especially the richer ones, they could care less about jihad/etc...

i myself may be leaning towards asian men like japanese or chinese primarily because i don't like bulky/hairy western men, but some arabs are pleasing to the eyes so i'm not totally closing my door on them... also, the typical arabic men don't all look like those terorrist mugshots we see on telly... those are the bad ones.. the more modern ones and most of the ones that don't live in an arabic country don't even keep a beard/moustache you know.. maybe for safety reasons?

and let me tell you a secret : beneath all that beard/moustache lies a very handsome face with good bone structure! like, seriously!! even more handsome than a typical western man! i think arabic ppl have always have the nose and they are also gifted with a very nice bone structure.. have you seen the women? i know this personally because quite a few of my uncles married arabic women and i've seen their family (even those 100% Arabs from Saudi Arabia) and quite a few of my cousins-by-relation don't live in Saudi Arabia so they have a smoother and clean-shaved face and let me tell you, i know it's wrong but damn i can't stop drooling when i see them! like, seriously, i'm not pulling your leg.. and they are generally soft spoken and i don't know why but they like to talk softly and i have to get closer so i can hear them properly.. or maybe they are doing that so i'll get closer to them? O.O because of their upbringing i think, they are really quite, and smile a lot and they don't talk loudly.. it was kinda romantic.. when they are talking to me like that it makes me hot under the collar! i don't know, maybe it's the tone of their voice? hmmmm... :| none like those typically loud and outspoken american men! clean shaven and soft speaking arabic men belongs on the cover of every romance novels out there!! or maybe it's just that my cousins are hot? lol

and another thing, even though they don't get into the Forbes list (again, because of you-know-what) arabic men are kinda rich.. even all of my cousins run their own business (and usually in other foreign countries).. i think the arabs like to do business, since in the old days.. and they have houses in every port (and wives too?! O.O)... and you know, the oil are mostly in the middle east and the black gold is the most important resource on our planet, so oil tycoons are few of the richest men on the planet... my friend's father went to Harrods in London and he told us that these rich arabic men shopping's habit put the most desperate housewives wannabe to shame.. they bought everything by the bundle! maybe coz they have 4 wives and a legion of sons/daughters?

which brought us to another point... harems is an arabic word and need i say more? lol so yeah, that kinda gives us an idea ahem, how well 'experienced' they are in the matter of intimacy... ahem.. it could be true, or it could be wrong, but the word harem always invoke 'those' type of images, right?

so yeah, maybe with what's happening and the bad reputation the arabs have now we may not think sheikhs are most popular choice for a Mr. Perfect Romance Hero, but seriously, what you see nowadays are only a small fraction of the truth.. not all of them are hairy or like to bomb ppl, you know.. :D

EDIT : OMG i wrote an entire novel! sorry girls for my ramblings but i just thought i should share the truth with you all.. i was like you before, i don't like arabic men for the same reason too, that was until my family got a visit from our Arabic side relatives... it was a life changing moment for me.. :lol:

i really like what you wrote and when i started this topic i didnt know that men were viewed because of the actions their clan is notorious for...yes arab men are also men and i dont go by racial discrimination....and like you said they are really rich since they have great deal of oil resources in their country and no taxes!!but viewing them as just rich guys is like we are tainting them ..they are smart ,good,hot i wouldnt say perfect as nobody is perfect
but i would suggest every girl to keep their options open to everyone(not a harem lol)and choose the right one :D :D
sherlover

Postby bakaneko on 31 May 2011, 09:18

^well, it's because when you see the mugshots of terrorist you will see that arabic men that has similar traits as osama : bearded, wears turban and arabic... but that's only one arabic man.. i just want ppl to realised that not all arabic men looks like that... it's not just racism alone, the main focus is looks since well, we're talking about sheikhs in the mangas.. :D

like many ppl i only recently noticed that, you know.. i thought i would never think any arabic men are well, hot.. XD

but then i learned that skandar keynes' family originally were from lebanon.. they still have relatives there... so he's at least part arabic.. then there were the jews.. jewish ppl are originally from around that area too, right? so they are kinda arabic? and there's a lot of jewish hollywood actors/actresses and they don't look like typical arabs (that i have in my mind)..

so yeah, i would say don't close you door yet... and isn't it sort of like, exciting to imagine that you could tame a guy who has a harem filled with beautiful women? i know it's kinda well, impossible, but the possibility that he chose you over hundreds of beautiful women makes you feel kinda special... ah, thinking about it makes my heart go doki-doki... :oops:

KYA~~~~~~
bakaneko
Elite Member

Postby Alessa9 on 31 May 2011, 13:03

I enjoy a well-written romance novel involving sheikhs. Have you noticed that the sheikhs in all Harlequin romance novels are clean-shaven? I think It's all about the exotic and the unknown. Personally, I prefer stories that have self-made millionaires or action-type heroes.
Alessa9
Cool User

Postby bakaneko on 31 May 2011, 17:39

Alessa9 wrote:I enjoy a well-written romance novel involving sheikhs. Have you noticed that the sheikhs in all Harlequin romance novels are clean-shaven? I think It's all about the exotic and the unknown. Personally, I prefer stories that have self-made millionaires or action-type heroes.

*nod nod*

i guess the mangaka kinda understand that a clean-shaven sheikh will be more popular than a bearded one.. XD
bakaneko
Elite Member

Postby sherlover on 01 Jun 2011, 14:16

bakaneko wrote:^well, it's because when you see the mugshots of terrorist you will see that arabic men that has similar traits as osama : bearded, wears turban and arabic... but that's only one arabic man.. i just want ppl to realised that not all arabic men looks like that... it's not just racism alone, the main focus is looks since well, we're talking about sheikhs in the mangas.. :D

like many ppl i only recently noticed that, you know.. i thought i would never think any arabic men are well, hot.. XD

but then i learned that skandar keynes' family originally were from lebanon.. they still have relatives there... so he's at least part arabic.. then there were the jews.. jewish ppl are originally from around that area too, right? so they are kinda arabic? and there's a lot of jewish hollywood actors/actresses and they don't look like typical arabs (that i have in my mind)..

so yeah, i would say don't close you door yet... and isn't it sort of like, exciting to imagine that you could tame a guy who has a harem filled with beautiful women? i know it's kinda well, impossible, but the possibility that he chose you over hundreds of beautiful women makes you feel kinda special... ah, thinking about it makes my heart go doki-doki... :oops:

KYA~~~~~~

double kya....... :D :D :D
sherlover

---------

Next

Return to General