Romance Cliches: Recurring Themes You Love/Hate

Discuss non-manga/manhwa topics here.
Introduce yourself, chat about anything like music, anime, novels, life...

Re: Romance Cliches: Recurring Themes You Love/Hate

Postby blanblah on 04 Sep 2011, 04:58

The heroine being ugly and then suddenly standing out and attracting the attention of the male lead IS annoying. It's way too superficial. If he didn't love her when she was ugly/ordinary then he doesn't deserve her. Though, typically in those cases it seems like she herself is ignoring the best friend or other male who loved her the whole time and doesn't realize it until after the handsome male lead turns out to be a complete jerk.

As for the step-siblings things, I like that too. It's like a forbidden romance without crossing any lines. I love forbidden romances. I'm not sure why, but I always find myself cheering that kind of situation on. Like the older man with a younger woman or the prince with the peasant or... I'm sure there are a lot of combos. I don't know why, but I love them and want them to work. Maybe it's because they aren't conventional relationships. They are something different and if the love is real, then power to them.
blanblah

Postby Alessa9 on 04 Sep 2011, 09:32

Same here. I think I'm drawn to them because there's a small stigma when it cones to one loving someone far above their own social status or age difference. My favorite in the prince & peasant catergory is "Private Prince" by Enjouji Maki. They're different in social status and culture.
Alessa9
Cool User

Postby Iaria on 05 Sep 2011, 01:13

romance20 wrote:the theme i love is step brother/step sister one. i just find it really fun. :lol:

Flirting with incest :? . But not really. ;)

Iaria

Postby rubenz on 08 Sep 2011, 01:48

sherlover wrote:
jollychick wrote:
rubenz wrote:3. When the heroine is ordinary/ugly even though she is truly kind but the hero won't bother her. Then she transform, the hero immediately chasing her. >.< ! Never like this kind of story, because I feel like the hero only noticing her because of her good looks...

I couldn't agree MORE!!!! When this happens, I feel like there was no point in the heroine having a pleasant personality and humble qualities if he wasn't going to concern himself about them and only look at her appearance.

lol that is the definition of most of the men out there though :?

Hahaha you are totally right, but for manga/novel I really hope I don't see that kind of things so thats why I kinda disappointed with this theme.
rubenz
Elite Member

Postby Iaria on 28 Sep 2011, 05:56

rubenz wrote:1.
Couples getting together because of pregnancy
3. When the heroine is ordinary/ugly even though she is truly kind but the hero won't bother her. Then she transform, the hero immediately chasing her. >.< ! Never like this kind of story, because I feel like the hero only noticing her because of her good looks...

The new manga Emma and the Earl seems to be a prime example of this. The rest of the chapters haven't been released yet so I'm not sure but it seems like it.

Another problem with romance genre is the ugly not really being ugly. Emma was fat but she's not ugly. Maybe the earl is just a prick.
Iaria

Postby silvery on 30 Sep 2011, 03:29

It's not so obvious in Josei mangas but the romantic cliche I really hate the most is the naive(sometimes stupid/ditzy) damsel in distress ones. I find it really silly when the girl has to rely on the guy because she can't do it on her own.
silvery

Postby AshuraX on 06 Oct 2011, 03:40

come to think of it, they do pull the preggo one a lot.

I don't really like the stupid, naive heroine as well. But then i don't like the "i'm so hot" male who doesn't seems to rule the tiny world he lives in with a million girls after him either.
AshuraX

Postby rubenz on 10 Oct 2011, 02:00

Iaria wrote:
rubenz wrote:1.
Couples getting together because of pregnancy
3. When the heroine is ordinary/ugly even though she is truly kind but the hero won't bother her. Then she transform, the hero immediately chasing her. >.< ! Never like this kind of story, because I feel like the hero only noticing her because of her good looks...

The new manga Emma and the Earl seems to be a prime example of this. The rest of the chapters haven't been released yet so I'm not sure but it seems like it.

Another problem with romance genre is the ugly not really being ugly. Emma was fat but she's not ugly. Maybe the earl is just a prick.

Yeah, Emma and the Earl is looks like it but no... it's different, I know because I have the book. What I meant is the hero starting to woo heroine when she is transform but he never regretted his past attitudes. I read this kind story before and totally regretted it, kinda forgot the title since it's not memorable.
rubenz
Elite Member

Postby ermo on 02 Nov 2011, 08:21

hate: The ending with marriage. Is it a final destination that you reach and will be happy forever? (I don't think so.)
What about the following hardships? - So I like Hapi Marri more...

Like: Forced living togerther :twisted: and they slowly discover their love for each other.
ermo

Postby Tuuli on 03 Jan 2012, 23:57

Oh-ho, it's always easier to think of situation you dislike rather than like, huh ^^.

I hate it when...
1. the female lead of shoujo is, usually from the start, "so in love" with some guy she doesn't know at all, based usually on his face and some random kind deed - and the reader is supposed to take her seriously. I don't like how light a feeling love is so often made in in shoujo manga. I whish the word "crush" was used more liberally ^^.
2. you get the oh-so-common situation of the arrogant male lead acting like a total ******* towards the female lead, her taking it, and then "falling in love" because of him hinting at kindness once in a blue moon.
3. it is made clear that the female lead is inferior to the lead male character in every way, and usually even more stupid and naive than just about anyone aound her.
4. you get unbelievably naive main characters that act like they were raised in a barrel, too stupid to live, without any understanding of human nature, themselves, or how the world works and the (lack of) fairness in it.

I love it when...
1. the lead female and male characters of a shoujo manga are equals, in terms of intelligence and strenght of character, at least, if looks and charm are too much to ask.
2. the romance in a series is based on real, tangible things that don't, in any real way, include the looks of either party and/or the lack of intelligence in either one.
2. "sensitive" subjects like rape, abuse, illness, phobias and traumas are portrayed and dealt with carefully, seriously and sincerely in manga. That can make for a truly touching and memorable series. All too often these kind of things are conjured up merely to create temporary drama in the story and afterwards quickly swept under the rug without having the characters go through any real feelings.

Needless to say, it's like I'm punishing myself by reading the shoujo manga of today, but still, sometimes you find pearls. And when those are few and far between, I medicate myself by reading some shoujo manga from the 80s ;].
Tuuli

---------

Previous

Return to General