Romance Cliches: Recurring Themes You Love/Hate

Discuss non-manga/manhwa topics here.
Introduce yourself, chat about anything like music, anime, novels, life...

Re: Romance Cliches: Recurring Themes You Love/Hate

Postby Iaria on 28 Aug 2011, 03:21

I also love when the rich b/millionaire whisks the woman away to an exotic island where his second home is where he and his lady love can be away from the world's problems. :)
Last edited by Iaria on 05 Sep 2011, 01:22, edited 1 time in total.
Iaria

Postby Iaria on 28 Aug 2011, 03:24

Another one of my pet peeves is the age difference. Why in a lot of romances is the man at least 8 to 15 years older than the woman?
Last edited by Iaria on 05 Sep 2011, 01:09, edited 1 time in total.
Iaria

Postby Iaria on 28 Aug 2011, 03:48

3 Things I Love: i)Falling in love with a billionaire. This can never be bad. ;)
ii)(Re)discovering love in a marriage/relationship - I don't know why, but I just love this set-up. When a couple gets back together or a just married couple discovering things about each other that they love and appreciate about the other person. It could be a friendship that turn into something more or just platonic relationship that suddenly changed for whatever reasons. The possibilities of this scenario always fascinated me because.
iii)The Feisty Lady/The Cool Rake - Two of my favourite types of leads in romances. She's vocal, energetic and won't take your crap. He's sensual, snarky and loves loving. ;)

Iaria

Postby blanblah on 28 Aug 2011, 06:03

marumarusan wrote:
aerysa wrote:But overall I think the characters in harlequins don't have strong personalities because we don't get to see their struggles. In a manga you can't draw them all so it's considerable though...

I agree, but rather than not being able to draw them out, I think it's more so that with the mangas they simply tend to rush them. With, for example, the actual Harlequin books that these stories on here were probably from, they had hundreds of pages to explore the situation and let feelings develop, but with the manga (or rather manwha sorry), it seems like one page they can't stand each other and the next they are so in love they don't know what to do with themselves.

Now as for the actual question, themes I hate. As everyone seems to be in agreement, the getting together because of pregnancy. I have friends and family who have done that and I think it's bad in real life, so personally I don't care for it in fiction, but I don't hate it. I just don't think they should get together for the sole purpose of the baby. On top of that, it always seems like cocky rich men who are trying to force their pregnant women into relationships. Can we say too much ego?

Something I do like though and it's SOOOOO cliche is the "bad" guy who falls in love and can treat that one person like a princess while hating the world lol. I just think there is something romantic about being that woman to tame the beast so to speak. Also like the princes from far off places. Nothing like some man with a nice accent sweeping you off your feet and putting a tiara on your head in the process. Though, I couldn't imagine that in real life, but I guess that's why I kind of like it in these stories. It's not something that the general public will ever experience, so it's nice to be able to dream I guess.

I'm sure there is more, but I can't think of anymore right this second.
blanblah

Postby Iaria on 29 Aug 2011, 00:24

I'm pretty sure I posted things I like but I don't see it. Oh well here's a quick rundown of what typed:

i)(Re)discovering love in a marriage/relationship
ii)The Feisty Lady/The Cool Rake - Two of my favourite types of leads.
iii)Falling in love with a billionaire and being whisked away to his private island. This can never be bad. ;)
Iaria

Postby marumarusan on 29 Aug 2011, 06:18

Iaria wrote:I'm pretty sure I posted things I like but I don't see it. Oh well here's a quick rundown of what typed:

i)(Re)discovering love in a marriage/relationship
ii)The Feisty Lady/The Cool Rake - Two of my favourite types of leads.
iii)Falling in love with a billionaire and being whisked away to his private island. This can never be bad. ;)

you actually posted them 3 times... You can see them on the top of this page :D
marumarusan

Postby sherlover on 29 Aug 2011, 15:44

things i love under this theme: how two strangers fall in love with each other to such an extent where they can do anything for each other and understand each n every move of their love..
either of the them is rich and mostly it shud be the guy...royalty is a plus..handsomeness is a double plus :D
sherlover

Postby jollychick on 29 Aug 2011, 18:24

rubenz wrote:3. When the heroine is ordinary/ugly even though she is truly kind but the hero won't bother her. Then she transform, the hero immediately chasing her. >.< ! Never like this kind of story, because I feel like the hero only noticing her because of her good looks...

I couldn't agree MORE!!!! When this happens, I feel like there was no point in the heroine having a pleasant personality and humble qualities if he wasn't going to concern himself about them and only look at her appearance.
jollychick

Postby sherlover on 30 Aug 2011, 08:23

jollychick wrote:
rubenz wrote:3. When the heroine is ordinary/ugly even though she is truly kind but the hero won't bother her. Then she transform, the hero immediately chasing her. >.< ! Never like this kind of story, because I feel like the hero only noticing her because of her good looks...

I couldn't agree MORE!!!! When this happens, I feel like there was no point in the heroine having a pleasant personality and humble qualities if he wasn't going to concern himself about them and only look at her appearance.

lol that is the definition of most of the men out there though :?
sherlover

Postby romance20 on 03 Sep 2011, 00:32

the theme i love is step brother/step sister one. i just find it really fun. :lol:
romance20
Cool User

---------

PreviousNext

Return to General