Recent natural calamities in japan

Discuss non-manga/manhwa topics here.
Introduce yourself, chat about anything like music, anime, novels, life...

Recent natural calamities in japan

Postby sherlover on 09 Apr 2011, 07:39

Well its really sad that people in japan are facing so much right now...just when they started recovering there was another earthquake..i hope there will be an end to these mishaps...prays love and hope for japan!!
sherlover

Re: Recent natural calamities in japan

Postby Panthera.a on 10 Apr 2011, 20:13

Yeah, but I sort of agree wit the prime minister; he said that catastrophe happened because of the huge ego Japanese have, they are just too much driven by success, position etc. But Japan had enough coping mechanisms to overcome it.

I think that the problems in Libya and Middle East are far worse just for the media is more lucrative not to advertise it too much.
Panthera.a

Postby sherlover on 11 Apr 2011, 04:57

Panthera.a wrote:Yeah, but I sort of agree wit the prime minister; he said that catastrophe happened because of the huge ego Japanese have, they are just too much driven by success, position etc. But Japan had enough coping mechanisms to overcome it.

I think that the problems in Libya and Middle East are far worse just for the media is more lucrative not to advertise it too much.

yes there are so many places which are almost on the verge of destruction...many people still in africa are dieing of malnutrition but media doesnt feel its important i guess!!
sherlover

Postby paikea on 11 Apr 2011, 16:40

I'm not saying what's worse or whatnot. It's all bad and everyone should be receiving as much aid as possible. The thing is the media. Mass violent conflicts get plenty of media coverage but they don't have as many video images being looped because they are not as visually engrossing and may require more viewer discretion. Natural disasters tend to get more public interest because in a way it's very shocking and scary to think that there is no direct human control over it. Even if the whole world came to agreement that it should be stopped, we can't stop it. The natural disasters still haven't stopped there with many aftershocks. What's especially frightening to people is that this occurred in one of the most developed countries. While those islands in particular are more susceptible to it, I think a lot of places get the feeling that it could easily happen to their country next. Also there's the fact that Japan exports to many countries so this gives many people a feeling of personal investment in finding these news.

I may not agree with how media underplays many things, starvation is a big one, but I can understand why this one is getting a lot. It's easy to blame the media, but most or maybe all of the time it's just a reflection of what the public wants.
paikea

Postby aiMiXue on 11 Apr 2011, 20:11

The Earthquake & Tsunami impacted on Jap magazine publications... So comics were delayed for awhile... :cry:
(am still waiting...)
aiMiXue

Postby sherlover on 12 Apr 2011, 05:46

aiMiXue wrote:The Earthquake & Tsunami impacted on Jap magazine publications... So comics were delayed for awhile... :cry:
(am still waiting...)

hope everything will recover back and all things will come back to an order.i heard that most of the anime dramas and mangas were stopped for a period of time and i was praying that this shud not be long..
sherlover

Postby Nintai on 12 Apr 2011, 07:58

Let's hope that japan recovers soon, would be good for them and good for our manga driven minds.
I NEED MANGAS!
and also, im against nuclear power plants, dont even know why anyone is crazy enough to build them
Nintai
Cool User

Postby sherlover on 17 Apr 2011, 11:16

Nintai wrote:Let's hope that japan recovers soon, would be good for them and good for our manga driven minds.
I NEED MANGAS!
and also, im against nuclear power plants, dont even know why anyone is crazy enough to build them

i second u nintai!! :D
sherlover

Postby bakaneko on 17 Apr 2011, 12:20

Nintai wrote:Let's hope that japan recovers soon, would be good for them and good for our manga driven minds.
I NEED MANGAS!

i understand why you don't like nuclear power plants coz i am not a big fan of nuclear and anything that can blow up either...

but we have to understand that japan consumed a lot of electricity daily.. it's the dilemma that usually faced by big countries like Japan and the US and now developing nations like mine and singapore are also starting to feel the heat when demands for electricity is really high... if anything, you can't blame their government for building those nuclear power plants, they are only trying to keep up with the demand.. and if you look at it in another way, nuclear power plants are more environment friendly than hydroelectric power plants (you have to clear a lot of forest and reroute the river which can really destroy the ecosystem of the surrounding area etc)... well, as long as the nuclear power plant don't blow up, of course.. :p but it's hard, ppl always wanted more, and in order to fulfill those demands, governments have to make some risky decisions...

even when there are loads of 'save electricity' campaigns out there, ppl are still wasting electricity.. in my home alone i always walk into a room to find it empty but the fan/aircond/lights are still on...*sigh* i bet if you can't get online coz there's an electricity shortage in your area, you'll get really annoyed right? in the end, it is our own fault if our country have to build nuclear power plants to fulfill our demand for more power.. :p

and about the media, i agree.. i also sometimes think why aren't there news about those starving ppl in africa, or environment issues or something? who wants to hear stories about some poor or backwater countries' problems... ppl only interested in big and popular countries where they have a lot of investments in, you know... :cry:
bakaneko
Elite Member

---------

Return to General