Potentially Good Webcomics That Should Get Going

Discuss non-manga/manhwa topics here.
Introduce yourself, chat about anything like music, anime, novels, life...

Potentially Good Webcomics That Should Get Going

Postby Iaria on 12 Sep 2011, 12:55

Have you ever read a webcomic that had a good premise, a good start and you sit there for weeks, months, years for an update? :x Then you wonder why they bother if they're gonna have every problem under the sun like connection problems, moving expenses, college fees, conventions and whatever problem they were having that week.

I know this is life but it makes me wonder why they start at all. Then I wonder why I started reading. :|

List the webcomics you think are guilty of this. They have to be ongoing webcomics though, so no dropped ones.
Iaria

Re: Potentially Good Webcomics That Should Get Going

Postby Iaria on 12 Sep 2011, 13:31

Major Offender #1: Alpha Luna -

Started out as a semi-decent comic about a girl finding out that she's a werewolf and have to (eventually anyway) fight werecats called animas. Drawn in b&w manga-style. The plot was moving along (even with the infrequent updates) and then it just stopped... for years. Why? So that the author could rewrite the entire comic from scratch. I can't complain too much because the revised version is much better and the comic updated much more frequently. And then it stopped again. The last page you'll see is a fanservice pic of Luna in her werewolf form with a stupid poll. :x

Update: Wow! This one finally moved! :shock:

Major Offender #2: Compass -

This one started out so strong: good art, good story, good characters. I mean who wouldn't want to read about 3 people having adventures jumping through dimensional gates and collecting artefacts.
Then pfft...
Hey it'll be back in...*goes to check* January. 2013. At least.
:evil:
At least the fan pic looks nice.
Last edited by Iaria on 26 Oct 2011, 06:06, edited 2 times in total.
Iaria

Postby Iaria on 16 Sep 2011, 03:49

Major Offender #3: Dasien -

This is a Superheroine comic where the titular character has to fight a team of super villains. It's been 6 years and the writer has only gotten to the second member. :x

Major Offender #4: Outsider
-

Right off I know this guy's problem. The digital effects he uses are very well done and gives a real science-fiction feel. But I think it's what taking him so long to make these pages. It took a couple of years for him to finally finish chapter 1. Chapter 2 seems to be on hold for now. :(
Iaria

Postby Iaria on 16 Sep 2011, 03:50

I wonder why are there so many webcomics in manga art style?

Iaria

Postby sailorrose50563 on 21 Sep 2011, 03:20

Iaria wrote:I wonder why are there so many webcomics in manga art style?

Most likely because that is the way the artist wants to portray the story...They may want to utilize effects which may be easier to understand with that particular art style.

For my list, two major offenders in this category are By Moon Alone and Fantasy Realms. Both seemed pretty promising in the beginning, but for various reasons have been put on extended hiatus.
sailorrose50563

Postby Iaria on 21 Sep 2011, 07:56

sailorrose50563 wrote:For my list, two major offenders in this category are By Moon Alone and Fantasy Realms. Both seemed pretty promising in the beginning, but for various reasons have been put on extended hiatus.

I've heard of By Moon Alone but haven't read it. But I have read Fantasy Realms. I wonder if that banner still says "will be returning soon in July."

Iaria

Postby sailorrose50563 on 24 Sep 2011, 06:47

I really liked the story concept for By Moon Alone, and it seemed to be executed pretty well. It is challenging to carry two separate storylines without having them become muddied.

I wish the artist would continue, but it has probably been a year and a half since it went on hiatus.
sailorrose50563

Postby romance20 on 02 Oct 2011, 17:50

webcomics can be pretty good, i really like nobesse and orange marmalade. :lol:
so you should just try the ones that look good and maybe or maybe not try the rest.
romance20
Cool User

Postby Iaria on 02 Oct 2011, 21:29

romance20 wrote:webcomics can be pretty good, i really like nobesse and orange marmalade. :lol:
so you should just try the ones that look good and maybe or maybe not try the rest.

Aren't those mangas?

Iaria

Postby Iaria on 26 Oct 2011, 06:35

Major Offender #5: Model Behaviour - ?

I don't even know if this comic exists anymore. It had its own website, then the comic was transferred to smackjeeves. The comic pages have been removed but there's still a spot for it. Why? Oh and the plot is about a photographer who fell in love (at first sight : P) with an up and coming model/actress but meets her sister instead. It was honestly more interesting then how I made it sound.

Major Offender #6: No Rest For The Wicked -

This was one of my favourite webcomics. It's a dark fantasy story that mixes several fairytale characters in one setting, kinda like Fables. It's about a Princess seeking a cure for her insomia that is somehow tied to the moon disappearing. Accompanying her are Puss In Boots and an undead Red Riding Hood. When something is this well drawn and well written it's a shame there aren't anymore pages. :(

Iaria

---------

Return to General